Thursday 6 September 2018

20 things I wish I knew before my Australian Working Holiday...

Hi ladies,

Back in May of 2016, an impromptu holiday to Dubai opened my eyes to the fact I'd done very little travel in my 26 years (I hadn't been further than Greece, for reference). Long story short, I decided to bite the bullet and pursue something I'd been wanting to do for years (but never had the courage to) - get myself a Visa and book a one way flight to Australia!

Here are 10 things I have learned since arriving in Sydney 31st December 2016, which I wish I had known before:

 1. Sydney is EXPENSIVE. I did sort of know this before and many people had told how expensive the cost living is, but I was naively rolling my eyes inwardly and thinking "how expensive can it really be?". I saved up a lot but my money ran out very fast so in hindsight, I should have either brought more money or planned to begin working sooner. Accommodation, food, alcohol and activities are all expensive and sadly, your money will start to run out very quickly if you're enjoying yourself!

2. You will very possibly need 'office' or work clothes. Having worked in an office for years at home, I somehow pictured myself working in an exotic bar down on Bondi Beach, wearing denim shorts and flip flops everyday - so packing my suitcase for a summer holiday made perfect sense. Not exactly the reality. Office jobs pay pretty well in Australia and my experience made it the easiest and best paid working route for me. This left me wishing I had brought more work appropriate than 1 black skirt and one smart top I'd thrown in "just in case"...

3. Everyone is in the same boat. Yes, the classic advice from freshers week will crop up again, especially if you're embarking on your journey completely solo. Moving to the other side of the world with 0 friends can be so daunting but the majority of people do it alone - meaning that they are all completely open minded, friendly and as keen as you are to make friends. My advice would be to book into social hostels (Trip Advisor reviews will be your best friend) and strike up a conversation with everyone and anyone. Chances are they will be really friendly and in the exact same position as you. Alcohol also helps.

4. It does get cold. In my head, Australia was in a permanent state of summertime all year round. Sadly, the country isn't immune to seasons as I'd once thought and there is a winter which gets surprisingly cold. Packing a few warmer items of clothing will be ideal for when June, July and August roll around and you will be surprised how quickly you get used to the backwards seasons. A mini electric heater will also probably be purchased during this time, as most Australian houses or flats don't have heating. It is a matter of time before you're posting that insta story with the temperature sticker captioned "move to Australia they said...."

5. You will most likely live in a house/flat eventually. I hadn't really thought much past hostels and the backpacking lifestyle but the truth is, once I secured a 9-5 job, I really wanted somewhere to live. Sharing a ten bed dorm is fun initially but you will get tired of living out a suitcase. House or flat shares are the most affordable options and your best bed is browsing Facebook or Flatmates.com.au. It's important to view the house and meet your potential flatmates to see if you gel. A bond (Australian for deposit) is usually required so try and keep some money aside for this and make sure you get any subletting agreement in writing!

6. There are a lot of English/Irish. Even though you are a million miles away from the UK, you will be astonished at how many English or Irish people you meet day to day. In temp jobs, in house shares, out and about....they are everywhere! The majority of my friendship group are from the UK and it's so nice to have what feels like a bit of 'home' with you.

7. Time difference is a pain. Technology is a wonderful thing but you most likely only have a short window to talk to your loved ones, either early morning or in the afternoon and evening (unless everyone you know is nocturnal). You may have found Facetime awkward before but it will soon become your best friend. And remember that all your drunken 2am insta stories and snapchats are posting during the daytime at home. You may wake up and delete them instantly but the odds are, most people have already seen them....

8. Christmas is not the same. Christmas on the beach sounds so fun and cool but you will miss the Christmas build up, the gift buying and the awful made-for-tv Christmas movies that play back to back on Channel 5. It is definitely an experience but the general consensus among most expats is that it just doesn't feel like Christmas!

9. The TV is not great. I'd never thought about UK TV being that great until I moved to Aus. Probably because the weather is so amazing, there isn't as much need to sit in watching TV all the time but you will soon realize how bad the TV is. Netflix and Stan will be your go-to and I even had a dream I flew home because of how bad the TV was, if that tells you anything.

10. You will become so independent. Ending on a positive note. Most millenials, such as myself, usually live at home until their mid to late twenties, letting their parents do everything for them with no real concept of rent and bills (does Uni count?). Moving to another country will let you gain so much experience of managing your own finances, finding somewhere to live, finding a job and you'll quickly realize that you don't need to rely on anyone to get by - one of the best feelings ever and the point you might actually feel like a real life grown up (age 27 - I got there in the end!).

Drop a comment below if you're moving overseas or embarking on any travelling soon, I'd love to hear!


No comments:

Post a Comment